POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Cavorite Sphere (off the shelf) [~105K JPG] : Re: Cavorite Sphere (off the shelf) [~105K JPG] Server Time
11 Aug 2024 07:17:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cavorite Sphere (off the shelf) [~105K JPG]
From: Alain
Date: 16 Apr 2004 22:34:51
Message: <408097cb$1@news.povray.org>
Hughes, B. nous apporta ses lumieres ainsi en ce 2004/04/16 16:10... :

>"Dan P" <dan### [at] yahoocom> wrote in message
>

>>Hughes, B. wrote:
>>

>>>Subject line says "off the shelf" because it was first made almost two
>>>

>years
>

>>>ago and then left to sit idle.
>>>

>>Oh YEAH -- fantastic!
>>It reminds me of Wallace and Grommit.
>>"Cheese, Grommit! We need cheese! Cheese!!!!"
>>

>Ha ha! Thanks Daniel, that's a compliment. Someone said that last time I
>posted it, IIRC.
>

>>Another parallel light at low intensity pointing down from behind the
>>object will bring out the details of the shadow and add depth.
>>

>Ahh, an oversight. I haven't added a light shining back from the Earth yet!
>That might do it. Although, probably not high up enough to illuminate the
>upper parts of the CS. There already is a shadowless light directly above
>but it's extremely dim. Originally I was never intending to have any other
>illumination besides the sunlight, and moon surface diffusing onto it by
>using radiosity.
>
>The Earth doesn't really add anything by radiosity alone so I'll add a light
>source to it.
>
>Bob H.

You're on the moon, that mean NO air -> shadows are SUPOSED to be pitch
black. I remember the Apolo lunar expeditions, unless there is something
nearby to reflect light into a shadowed area, there was absolutely
nothing to be seen but black.
The shadowless light must be extremely dim, it represent star's light,
globaly, that's less than about 0.001% that of the sun.

Alain